I wanted to do a quick review of a really useful piece of kit that I bought just a few weeks ago.
There is nothing more useful for firearms training than amplified hearing protection like Peltors or Howard Leights. You can hear the instructor give range commands and speak without yelling to your classmates.
However, they were all but useless on indoor ranges when I practice on my own. I found that if I had them powered on, they wouldn’t detect and filter all of the shots in the range, and would actually amplify shots from distant lanes. I ultimately just turned them off, which means earplugs or plain muffs are just as good. Not to mention that I couldn’t hear the par timer on the Shot Timer app on my phone.
I had a small moment of clarity when I searched to see if there was standard hearing protection with Bluetooth connectivity. Sure enough, 3M has a set for under $50. I bought them and I couldn’t be happier.
- They have good hearing protection
- They are about the same size as regular muff-style hearing protection
- They are USB rechargeable, with over a workday’s worth of battery life
- They have a simple one-button interface
- They allow me to use my phone apps and hear my par timer
- I can play my own soundtrack while I shoot. I have been enjoying the 007 theme song… 🙂
- They also allow me to rock out when I’m mowing the grass or blowing leaves
That’s it. Try these out if you often find yourself at indoor ranges with the unwashed masses and are frustrated with your tactical headphones.
If you find value in my ramblings, please subscribe, share, and shop through our amazon affiliate link.